Please watch this gallery/museum visit video about the iconic work of Andy Warhol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HB2cQm_Ag, and then write a few sentences about the artwork.
Please elaborate on the artistic medium. This week we completed a detailed introduction to PRINTMAKING. Perform a detailed analysis to include the below inquiry areas:
- What printmaking-specific medium do you believe it is? Consider all of the specific types introduced in this chapter: woodcut, wood engraving, intaglio, intaglio-engraving, intaglio-drypoint, intaglio-etching, intaglio-mezzotint, intaglio-aquatint, lithography, silkscreen/serigraphy, and monotype. Once you’ve decided, explain how you know based on what you see.
- What surface materials do you think were used based on what you see?
- What implements were used?
- What do you think about his creative process? (There is no wrong answer)
Please spend some time thinking about the formal components of this artwork (Chapters 1-6: Line, Shape, Color, Value, Texture, Space, Time, Motion, etc.)
- Attached below in the discussion guidelines section, you will find a “visual analysis guide.” Each week, prior to this one, we did a formal analysis of the art through the lens of the chapter’s focus areas. For the rest of the semester, things will be less guided. You will use the attached guide as a review to all the new terms and areas covered, and I want you to choose (2) major areas to focus on and discuss here. Instead of me telling you “analyze this artwork for line”, for example, your challenge will be to understand what elements of art and principles of design are most applicable and interesting when considering the artwork identified for discussion. This will help you transition to talking about art at museums and galleries much more naturally. Enjoy the challenge! This is also great prep for the final exam.
- What art category is this and why? Realism, Expressionism, Abstraction, or nonobjective
- What is the subject of this artwork (the noun/the what)?
What is the content/concept of this artwork (the ideas and intellectual interpretations)?
- [ Hints – The following are additional questions to get you thinking but they do not need to be individually answered: What ideas do you think this artist is trying to express about the subject? What is the intellectual interpretation? What cultural concepts are being expressed? Feminism? Racial identity? Gender identity? Sexuality? Are there historical references – which ones? Is there symbolism or iconography? Think about the subject in relation to the elements of art and principles of design we’ve been learning about this semester.