In the early 1990s, the Smithsonian Institution created two controversial exhibits:
- Slavery in New York: A Landmark Exhibition (https://www.nyhistory.org/exhibitions/slavery-new-york)address the following in a 1,500-1,750 word paper:
- Briefly explain the exhibit from conception to final product.
- What were the controversies surrounding this exhibit and who were the people involved?
- Why did history and memory clash in this exhibit? Consider the subject matter, period, type of institution, presentation style, exhibit creators/consultants, etc.
- One of the jobs of a public historian is to bridge the gap between academic work and public audiences. How would you be able to present this perspective in a way that would make the exhibit less controversial?
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the Turabian Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a scoring guide. Please review the scoring guide prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.