For this final essay, you’ll select one of the following prompts and develop an entire essay. This essay should be about 450-500 words long and contain a minimum of four paragraphs (an introduction ending with the thesis, two body paragraphs to support the thesis, and a conclusion. This is a timed essay; you will have two hours from the time you open the assignment to submit the essay, so you should not rush to start writing immediately. Think about the prompts first; one that looks easy at first might be difficult to develop beyond the first couple of paragraphs. It is worth your time to make an informal outline before you begin to write.
Things to remember:
- First, you’ll need to brainstorm. Look at the topics and determine which one you can generate content for.
- Write a thesis. Remember that prompts can be reworded into a thesis. For example, if I were to select prompt 3, I could use this thesis: While I never thought it would be useful to me, learning how to balance things affects my life every day.
- Write a topic sentence for each body paragraph that supports the thesis.
- Develop the body paragraphs. Provide concrete and specific examples.
- The conclusion is your last chance to address and impress the reader.
- What was your favorite toy as a child? Explain why.
- What is one thing you’ve learned that impacts your life every day?
- Where is the best place to relax and restore yourself?