EDU 460/660 Chapter 8 Assignment
Chapter 8: FAPE
Respond to the following questions and submit answers via Canvas:
1. What is the FAPE mandate according to IDEA? Include the four criteria.
2. What is the blueprint or realization of a student’s FAPE?
3. The special education teacher developed a draft IEP for a student using the district’s software program for IEP’s prior to the IEP committee meeting. How could this not be considered predetermination? If a parent is not included in the IEP meeting, what has occurred, according to court cases?
4. (a.) According to case law, can a parent choose the method of instruction? Why or why not?
5. The Board of Education v Rowley is a hallmark for determining FAPE. Describe/discuss the U.S. Supreme Court’s major decisions and findings in Board of Education v Rowley. Include the Rowley Standard and at least four decisions/findings in your discussion.
6. List and briefly describe the five principles that can provide useful guidance to school districts to assist them in developing appropriate educational programs for students with disabilities.
7. Explain how related services and Extended School Year are vital to the provision of FAPE.
8. Describe some of the changes that your school has implemented due to the COVID 19 crisis.
9. COVID 19 interrupted educational services to all students; students with special needs were particularly affected. What are some areas of special education litigation that you foresee arising as a result of COVID 19? Why